Tuesday, February 24, 2009

N. Lee projects

Nikki Lee has a funny way of fitting in. Given that she was born in Korea, yet can so easily infilitrate various ethnic and social groups is pretty amazing. I can imagine that when coming to America for the first time, she was overwhelmed by the multitude of culutures present in our country. Because of this, it would be easy for an outsider like herself to imitate certain mannerisms and appearances. I'm sure she did not run into many Hispanics while going to school in Korea. The photographs she appears in only prove how certain stereotypes can be broken. As an outsider looking in for the first time, she had the ability to adopt certain ethnic group's style and culture. This could be attributed to the fact that the various groups she joined were in themselves a kind of minority; lesbians, punks, exotic dancers, etc. In the end they accepted her because she was different, like themselves. I found myself unable to distinguish Nikki in various photos because she did such a good job of transforming herself; whereas if she had tried to blend into some 'white' cultures she may have stuck out more. I thought her ultimate goal was simply a social experiment, and the art itself was only proof of her transformation. Overall this was a very interesting ordeal she put herself through that few others might be able to accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment